It’s almost Halloween time, dear readers! Are you as excited as I am? That’s easy. You’re probably more excited than me. Once again, a reminder: the only holiday for which I expend any extra DIY/decorating effort is Christmas.
But! Just because I don’t dig Halloween decorations out of the attic or think of a costume more than 48 hours in advance (if at all) doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate those who do. And this year I’ve found that others have really put me in the Halloween spirit, such that my walk home the other night felt straight out of a Hitchcock movie (that I immediately instagrammed, because it is 2014, not 1964).
Otherwise, I have little I can personally offer on a Halloween theme. So here, have a looksee at what others are doing!
If you’re wanting those aforementioned DIY and décor tips, here ya go:
- Lindsay at Little House Blog offered up 25 Halloween Ideas for crafts, costumes, and treats (after admitting that she was going the easy route this year, which I 100% respect)
- For the pros, Jacquelyn Clark has 12 more for you that are just super pretty
- And Cassie at Hi Sugarplum! showed us all up with her Dia de los muertos-themed party décor
If you’re less into the pretty stuff and more interested in the fright night part of Halloween, we’ve got:
- For the practical jokers, Buzzfeed’s fun ways to scare your kids this Halloween. (I can’t decide if I’ll be the sort of mom who does these things or not. Hmm.)
- College Humor insists that you’d do the same dumb stuff the characters in horror movies would do. They’re not wrong.
- And also from College Humor: how long would YOU survive in a horror movie? (I made it to the bitter end, whew!)
Costume ideas abound, as well! Hurry up, the thrift shops are gonna be picked over once you get an idea:
- Buzzfeed has some fantastic couple’s costumes. The Up couple! I just can’t even.
- Popsugar has 110(!) 90’s-inspired costumes for you. Some are meh (that’s what you get for choosing 110) but Lumiere is incredible.
- Commander Hadfield reminds all young ladies out there that you do not need to be a princess this Halloween.
- And finally, Halloween hasn’t even happened yet, but I’m already calling Dooce the winner of this year’s unofficial internet costume contest.
Hopefully you’re in the Halloween spirit (oooooooh spirit) as well now, dear readers! And you’ve got a few days to spare if you’d like to prepare. Just remember: don’t buy your candy too early.